Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers

3 posters

Go down

N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers Empty N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers

Post by KSigMason Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:35 pm

N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers

TRENTON, N.J. — Army Pfc. Paul J. Newell grew up in New Jersey but hasn't lived here since enlisting in November 2005.

Yet every month New Jersey deducts $20 from his Army pay _ and the state plans to keep doing so even though he's stationed in Germany for the next two years. New Jersey is among at least 24 states that tax soldiers with overseas assignments, a practice that is drawing criticism from some lawmakers, soldiers and their families.

"It seems a little silly that I'm taxed even though I have no ability to control where I'm stationed," Newell said. "I only come home once or twice a year."

Newell earns $1,485 a month, or less than $18,000 a year, as an Army intelligence officer. He estimates that he pays about $250 a year in state income tax.

His father thinks that's $250 a year too much.

"Whether it's $40 or $60 or more (a month) the state takes, for what they do and the risks they take, it's not right," said Newell's father, Paul Edward Newell, an attorney. "It's taxation without habitation."

Newell's father wrote letters to several newspapers, every member of the state Legislature and Gov. Jon S. Corzine.

"It may be appropriate to tax military personnel who are stationed in New Jersey because they receive the benefits of our infrastructure," Newell wrote. "However, to tax my son for the next two years while he is in Germany seems to be little more than picking his already small pocket."

Lawmakers took notice, and Assemblyman Michael Panter introduced legislation to stop the state from taxing the military paychecks of New Jersey soldiers while they're stationed out of state or overseas.

"Our state's men and women in uniform are already sacrificing enough. To have the state reach into their paychecks is unfair considering all they are doing on behalf of our nation for already modest wages," said Panter, a Monmouth Democrat.

Federal law allows soldiers to exclude for tax purposes any income they earn while serving in a designated combat zone, or income they earn while hospitalized as a result of serving in a combat zone.

Fourteen states provide additional tax exemptions or credits for active duty soldiers. Five states _ Illinois, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, and Tennessee _ exclude military pay from taxation. Pennsylvania excludes military pay for soldiers stationed out-of-state.

"At first I figured it was just me, but eventually I heard from people in my training class who didn't have to pay the tax," the soldier said Friday from his base in Germany.

Though Newell doesn't serve in a combat zone, he does maintain computer systems for soldiers who serve in war zones.

In order to stop New Jersey from taking his income, he would have to establish residency somewhere else. There's just one hitch: That's illegal.

While he initially considered changing his "home of record" to his aunt and uncle's place across the Delaware River in Pennsylvania _ where he wouldn't pay state income tax _ he said he learned through the Army that it's a crime to change his home of record for tax purposes only.

According to the New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and the state Treasury Department, military members can avoid state taxes in select circumstances.

But Panter, a Harvard Law School graduate and financial planner, said the exemptions were "difficult to understand" and didn't really provide relief to soldiers. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Specifically, the exemption says military personnel are not subject to the state income tax if they don't maintain a permanent home in New Jersey. But the exemption also says that all military personnel who maintain a home in New Jersey while residing on ships, in barracks, or officer quarters would be required to pay New Jersey income taxes.

Before enlisting in the military, Newell lived at his mother's home in West Windsor.

Panter's bill would exempt all active-duty soldiers serving in another state or country from paying New Jersey income tax. According to an estimate by the Office of Legislative Services, the exemption would cost the state about $9 million a year.

Panter says that's the least the state can do for the men and women defending the country.

"For the brave men and women who are willing to pay the ultimate price to protect our freedoms, it is simply unjust for the state to turn around and tax their wages."

SOURCE
It would seem to me that this would be common sense, but alas we all know how that falls by the wayside.
KSigMason
KSigMason
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 387
Locale : Boise, ID
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Character sheet
test: 1

Back to top Go down

N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers Empty Re: N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers

Post by old goat Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:47 pm

I have some mixed feelings on this. While I don't feel that, given their pay and the job they are doing, soldiers who are in harms way should pay taxes. However, they can vote, they are represented - at least nominally, through absentee ballots. Just like you would pay for a phone service, even if you never used it, you would either pay it or have the service cut off. Where you habitate doesn't mean anything. What about a businessman who travels most of the time, would you cut their tax burden according to how long they actually spend at home, or where they call home, regardless of the time spent there? While I disagree with the way our government throws our money around on their choices, it is our obligation to pay our share of the burden. I wouldn't protest if there were a tax exemption for military personnel, but that is legislation to make that happen.

Going in the military is a choice, being stationed away from what you register as your home doesn't mean the obligations to your home go away.

With the tax rates as they are, they are paying a fairly low tax rate. Their benefits help asuage some of the shortfall of the money... they can get housing, meals, and so on. Military service isn't something you do to get rich. At least not in the enlisted ranks, and it takes quite some time to get to the higher ranks where income gets better.
old goat
old goat
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 255
Locale : Syracuse, NY - the Liberal Mecca State
Registration date : 2007-01-17

http://yankeefansunite.eamped.com/

Back to top Go down

N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers Empty Re: N.J. Lawmaker: Stop Tax on Soldiers

Post by GD2GO Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:16 pm

Personal income tax of ANYONE is just plain wrong. But I don't think exceptions should be made for soldiers.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KSigMason Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 pm

iluvfreebeer wrote:Personal income tax of ANYONE is just plain wrong.
It's one of those necessary evils.

iluvfreebeer wrote:But I don't think exceptions should be made for soldiers.
I think those in combat zones should be, but those in the states are basically fair game.
KSigMason
KSigMason
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 387
Locale : Boise, ID
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Character sheet
test: 1

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:54 pm

NOpe. I don't think it's a necessary evil, or fair or just. The personal income tax represents about 28% of federale revenue. The GAO ADMITS to wasting about 24% of every dollar they take in.

Cut waste, eliminate wasteful programs and that 4% gap is more than made up for. Plus, a national sales tax would make cheating near impossible.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down