Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year"

+3
Buzzy
Popov
GD2GO
7 posters

Go down

Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year" Empty Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year"

Post by GD2GO Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:03 am

Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year" Vvp_landing

Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year" Stalin_putin

TIme thinks the modern day Stalin is the most influential person of the year.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year" Empty Re: Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year"

Post by Popov Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:52 am

he's not stalin

stalin was a genocidal maniac who didn't mind sacrificing hundreds of thousands, or even millions of his own people for the greater good

there's no way you can put him on the same level as js

i agree with the title of the article - "A Tsar is Born"
i can see putin as a contemporary tsar, but he can't be compared to soviet era dictators because the nature of contemporary russia differs greatly from that of the USSR - the political system is similar, and the anti-opposition tactics bear some resemblance, but the economic system is way different - no more collectivization, the gap between rich and poor is ginormous, luxury is not a problem

russia is somewhat like modern china, and bears resemblance to some elements of the former ussr, but it's a LONG, LONG, LONG way from stalin's Soviet Union
Popov
Popov
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Character sheet
test: 1

https://conservative-life.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year" Empty Re: Time names Stalin, err, Putin "Man of the Year"

Post by GD2GO Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Putin is already having his political foes sent to mental asylums.
Sounds pretty Stalinist.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzy Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:44 pm

You have to remember how many decades it took for the purges in the USSR to come to light. How long will it take before we find out what Putin is really doing. Personally I think the man is as evil as Stalin but only the future will tell.
Buzzy
Buzzy
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 281
Locale : Pretty much anywhere they send me
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo Baggins Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:26 pm

You have to remember how many decades it took for the purges in the USSR to come to light. How long will it take before we find out what Putin is really doing. Personally I think the man is as evil as Stalin but only the future will tell.

I'm pretty sure with the media freedom today (even in Russia) we would know if Putin was killing millions of people through famine or purges. He's definitely not Stalin, as he's still subject to the law and Russian constitution (flimsy as it is). Most influential man of the year? Probably, he's certainly presided over a period of Russian resurgence (for good or bad), and the economy isn't as bad as the Yeltsin years (though its still a mess in some areas). Some interesting runner-ups; Gore, Petraeus, Jintao. Would have been nice to see Gore at the top, even if it is just to see how angry you guys would have been.

Last edited by on Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
The guy who makes it interesting

Number of posts : 390
Locale : New Zealand
Registration date : 2007-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzy Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Always remember that while the purges were going on people world wide didn't believe it was possible either. But it was and now were starting to hear about people critical of Putin's government dying, being jailed, put in mental institutions. Take a look at how much less "free" the press in Russia is these days under Putin. No, millions aren't dying.... yet, maybe never but freedom is dying there every day. Freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of thought! Isn't that bad enough?
Buzzy
Buzzy
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo Baggins Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:03 pm

Freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of thought! Isn't that bad enough?

Yeah, it definitely is bad, but we were arguing whether he was another Stalin, which I think we can agree he's not. Lets remember that the criteria Time has for its Person of the Year selection is mainly based on their world influence, and Putin is certainly a significant international player.
Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins

Number of posts : 390
Locale : New Zealand
Registration date : 2007-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzy Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:01 am

Well alGore came in second so maybe he's Stalin and Putin is even worse. Razz

Stalin didn't start out killing millions, it took some time to work up to it. Putin is getting a good start and we'll see how many he kills to keep himself in power.

By their own measurments I guess that Time would have listed Adolph Hitler as man of the year even as he was building his extermination camps. I find that more telling than anything.
Buzzy
Buzzy
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Joahob Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:55 pm

I was going to say at least they didn't choose Obama, but then I realized this is a year old already.

Joahob
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 72
Locale : Spaceship Earth
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:32 pm

IIRC they DID name Obama 'man of the year' though swine would have been more fitting
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 515
Locale : S. Florida
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.conservativecore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Obongo, dude of the year.

I'm puking on my keyboard.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 pm

I puke every time i Hear hope and change . Honesty and transparency
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 566
Locale : taxationland Maine
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Character sheet
test: 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down