Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rancher v Illegals

+5
GD2GO
KSigMason
submarinepainter
LACOP
NonConformist
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rancher v Illegals Empty Rancher v Illegals

Post by NonConformist Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 pm

This is BS, but at least hes a 'free' man-

Jury: Rancher didn't violate illegal immigrants' rights
By ARTHUR H. ROTSTEIN
Associated Press

TUCSON, Ariz. — A federal jury found Tuesday that a southern Arizona rancher didn't violate the civil rights of a group of illegal immigrants who said he detained them at gunpoint in 2004.

The eight-member civil jury also found Roger Barnett wasn't liable on claims of battery and false imprisonment.

But the jury did find him liable on four claims of assault and four claims of infliction of emotional distress and ordered Barnett to pay $77,804 in damages — $60,000 of which were punitive.

Barnett declined to comment afterward, but one of his attorneys, David Hardy, said the plaintiffs lost on the bulk of their claims and that Barnett has a good basis for appeal on the two counts on which he lost.

"They won a fraction of the damages they were seeking," Hardy said.

All six plaintiffs are citizens of Mexico, five of whom are living in the United States with visa applications pending, and the sixth resides in Mexico but was allowed into the U.S. for the trial, said Nina Perales, an attorney with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund. She declined to say where in the U.S. they're residing.

Perales called the outcome "a resounding victory that sends a message that vigilante violence against immigrants will not be tolerated."

David Urias, attorney for the plaintiffs, said, "Obviously we are disappointed with some aspects of the verdict. But I think that overall this was a victory for the plaintiffs."

For years, Arizona has been the busiest point along the Mexican border for illegal immigrants entering the United States.

For more than a decade, Barnett has been a controversial figure in southern Arizona. He's known for aggressively patrolling his ranch property and along highways and roads in the area, often with his wife and brothers, on the lookout for illegal immigrants.

The plaintiffs alleged that Barnett threatened them with his dog and told them he would shoot anyone who tried to escape.

Barnett's lawyers argued that his land was inundated with illegal immigrants who left trash on his property, damaged his water supply and harmed his cattle.

Barnett's wife and a brother were dismissed as defendants; in addition, 10 more people initially named as plaintiffs were dropped from the proceedings.

Barnett has been known to wear a holstered 9-mm pistol on his hip and upon coming across groups of migrants, to flash a blue and gold badge resembling that of the highway patrol, with the wording "Barnett Ranch Patrol. Cochise County. State of Arizona."

The Barnetts detain and turn over those whom they encounter to the U.S. Border Patrol. In 2006, Barnett estimated that he had detained more than 10,000 illegal immigrants in 10 years.

His actions have resulted in formal complaints from the Mexican government against what it considers vigilante actions, and in several other lawsuits, including one stemming from an October 2004 incident.

In that case, a jury awarded a family of Mexican-Americans on a hunting trip $100,000 in damages, later upheld by the Arizona Supreme Court.

Barnett's 22,000-acre ranch, about five miles north of the Mexican border, includes private and federal lease holdings in addition to nearly 14,000 acres of state-leased land.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6267853.html
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 515
Locale : S. Florida
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.conservativecore.com

Back to top Go down

Rancher v Illegals Empty Re: Rancher v Illegals

Post by LACOP Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Why do we let wetbacks have access to our court system? What a load of horse hockey!
LACOP
LACOP
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:14 pm

I also love how they got called 'Immigrants' they're fucking Illegals!!! Evil or Very Mad
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:09 pm

I heard about this on the radio , God Bless this man!!!
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 566
Locale : taxationland Maine
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Character sheet
test: 1

Back to top Go down

Post by KSigMason Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Justice prevails for once.
KSigMason
KSigMason
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 387
Locale : Boise, ID
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:02 pm

KSigMason wrote:Justice prevails for once.

Well sorta...hes still gonna get thumped for 70K unless a higher court overturns that
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by KSigMason Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 am

NonConformist wrote:
KSigMason wrote:Justice prevails for once.

Well sorta...hes still gonna get thumped for 70K unless a higher court overturns that
It should get overturned, but at least he isn't being imprisoned. These are terrible days when we are taking the word of criminals over our own citizens.
KSigMason
KSigMason
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:12 am

He should have whacked all of them and left them for the vultures. They are goddammed INVADERS.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

We as a country need to get our shit together , I was listening to the radio and heard that OTM 's (other than Mexicans)
comprise a large percentage of people crossing illegally, This a dangerous situation
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KSigMason Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 pm

It's amazing we haven't had any further terrorist attacks on American soil.
KSigMason
KSigMason
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Give it time, we have a new POTUS who LOVES terrorists...er Muslims who are misunderstood
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Edwin D Gill Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:53 am

KSigMason wrote:It's amazing we haven't had any further terrorist attacks on American soil.

You mean other than getting stuck with a terrorist loving marxist muslim in the Oval Office?
Edwin D Gill
Edwin D Gill
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 66
Locale : Usually traveling, but I call both Santa Clara CA and Las Vegas -- home
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:50 am

...Like those Hamas Palistinians he wants to allow to immigrate here...Im sure they'll just become upstanding citizens.

AT least until they get offended and blow up a bus or a cafe in America
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:47 pm

NonConformist wrote:...Like those Hamas Palistinians he wants to allow to immigrate here...Im sure they'll just become upstanding citizens.

AT least until they get offended and blow up a bus or a cafe in America

I am sure they will also enjoy our freebies here like , Obama paying the rent and filling their tanks and paying for their explosives:lol!:
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by libertarianandproud Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 am

it is total bullshit that anyone would would take the side of illegals over this man. The illegals have trapled his land left debris and human waste everyone , where the fuck are the patrols??
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Obama Rulz Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Why do you people hate immigrants? These people are the same as the Pilgrims.
Obama Rulz
Obama Rulz
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:16 pm

Obama Rulz wrote:Why do you people hate immigrants? These people are the same as the Pilgrims.
Not all of us hate the immigrants, we have been over this in the other thread where you still have not replied. We hate paying for them to come live of us illegally without putting their share back into the pot. The Pilgrims were a plus on society, not a drain.
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 98
Locale : Clock Tower
Registration date : 2007-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Obama Rulz Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Loner wrote: The Pilgrims were a plus on society . . .

So are the immigrants that pick the grapes for your wine and the lettuce for your salad and butcher the steers for your steak and hammer the nails that build your houses.
Obama Rulz
Obama Rulz
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Obama Rulz wrote:

So are the immigrants that pick the grapes for your wine and the lettuce for your salad and butcher the steers for your steak and hammer the nails that build your houses.
Only if the money goes back into the economy, thats my only bitch. You must understand that they need to pay their share as well as you and I. Again, please point out in ANY of my posts where I say that I am anti immigration.
Question, how much do you pay in anual insurance premiums? I trust that you will be honest.
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Obama Rulz wrote:

Not when Americans are being unemployed in large numbers, we could use those miliions of jobs for America and our families, Mexico can come up w. their own solution that doesnt involve invading another nation
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Obama Rulz Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:19 pm

NonConformist wrote:
Obama Rulz wrote:

Not when Americans are being unemployed in large numbers, we could use those miliions of jobs for America and our families, Mexico can come up w. their own solution that doesnt involve invading another nation

So you would have favored barring the Irish at the turn of the last century?
And the Pilgrims took food and land from the Native Americans.
This isn't any different.
Obama Rulz
Obama Rulz
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:33 pm

And slavery used to be an issue too, so now I should be enslaved for the deeds of others. Your logic is crystal clear now, thank you for answering my post.
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by Obama Rulz Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 pm

Loner wrote:And slavery used to be an issue too, so now I should be enslaved for the deeds of others. Your logic is crystal clear now, thank you for answering my post.

You didn't address the issue.

The Irish came here to escape the famine. Many Americans hated them. Since then we've had 2 Irish presidents, Kennedy and Reagan (Who I think was part Irish).

The Pilgrims came here to escape religious intolerance and took food and land from the Native Americans. Now being able to trace your heritage to the original Pilgrims is thought to be wonderful.

The immigrants coming across our southern border are mostly poor people looking for a better life. How is that wrong?
Obama Rulz
Obama Rulz
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Because they resort to criminal behaviour in doing so and cause Americans to suffer
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:44 pm

Obama Rulz wrote:
Loner wrote:And slavery used to be an issue too, so now I should be enslaved for the deeds of others. Your logic is crystal clear now, thank you for answering my post.

You didn't address the issue.

The Irish came here to escape the famine. Many Americans hated them. Since then we've had 2 Irish presidents, Kennedy and Reagan (Who I think was part Irish).

The Pilgrims came here to escape religious intolerance and took food and land from the Native Americans. Now being able to trace your heritage to the original Pilgrims is thought to be wonderful.

The immigrants coming across our southern border are mostly poor people looking for a better life. How is that wrong?

You are missing the point, I get what you are saying and yes I did answer your question. The difference is back in the day when other immigrants came over, they contributed back to our country. Please clean the shit out of your ears. I still have no problem with immigration Now, Did you read that? Isnt that what you asked me? LOL. I have a problem with any open door policy. Its not because they are Mexican, its because very little of that money that they make will go back into our system. If all we do is keep paying out with no relief, its a matter of time before we have nothing left over. No one will want to come here anymore because there will be nothing left. And yes, I know plenty of people that would be happy to pick lettuce right about now. The wages may suck but it still beats the shit out of their $200.00 per week un employment check.
Its admirable that you feel this strong about this topic and you have a great point about allowing immigration. But you don't seem to realize that financially it will not last in the manner that we are allowing it to happen. We cannot afford it, plain and simple. And to be honest, I'm tired of personally paying for it in over priced insurance policies and taxes.
I agree with some of the other countries immigration policies to a point. Have a job lined up, get a social security number, pay your taxes like the rest of us and come on in. If you want to come here, skirting the rules and looking for free hand outs then you can stay out, we have enough of our own that think that is their "right".
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down