Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Table Rock Cross

4 posters

Go down

Table Rock Cross Empty Table Rock Cross

Post by KSigMason Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Sitting upon a bluff overlooking the City of Trees stands a 60-ft cross. Outside the the controversy of the 10 Commandments in Julia Davis Park, this has been a fairly large scandal in a predominantly conservative state.

Table Rock Cross Tablerock

In recent times, the cross came into light after a Chicago talk show host spoke at BSU at the behest of the Idaho Atheists.

Two weeks ago Rob Sherman, a Chicago talk-radio host and an atheist, ignited a passionate debate here in a speech to Idaho atheists by suggesting that the land transaction was rigged and that a federal lawsuit be filed to bring down the cross.

NY TIMES

Here are some quotes that highlight the events surrounding this cross:

First, a bit of background: The Junior Chamber of Commerce, or Jaycees, is a national organization founded in 1946 to promote free enterprise and community involvement. In 1950, the Jaycee's creed was expanded to include belief in God, and since that time, promotion of Christianity seems to have been part of its mission. In the 1950s, the group built the cross on what was then Department of Corrections land.

In 1971, the Oregon state supreme court ruled in favor of an ACLU lawsuit to remove a cross displayed on public land in that state. By this time, Table Rock was under the control of the Idaho Board of Lands. The Jaycees were concerned that the ACLU would try to have the Table Rock cross removed in a similar fashion. To prevent this, the Jaycees asked the Land Board to sell them the land, but to keep the auction as quiet as possible. The board agreed not to mention the cross in the public notice of the land sale, and also resolved to reject any competing bids. A small parcel of land under the cross was sold to the Jaycees for $100. Supporting documents are available at www.robsherman.com.

HUMANISTS OF IDAHO

''The separation of church and state was never intended to suggest or promote atheism,'' Governor Kempthorne wrote in a Nov. 23 letter to the Jaycees.

In Rocky Mountain political terms, Mr. Sherman has hit two hot buttons: Westerners do not take kindly to outsiders telling them what to do, and property rights are considered sacrosanct here.

NY TIMES
I completely agree with the quote from the former Gov and Sec of the Interior. I also agree with the 2nd because I'm tired of these people coming into Idaho and trying to force their agenda on our state which functions nicely without their liberal thought.

I thought I'd post this, to see what you all think.
KSigMason
KSigMason
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 387
Locale : Boise, ID
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Character sheet
test: 1

Back to top Go down

Table Rock Cross Empty Re: Table Rock Cross

Post by Jasmine Grace Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:59 pm

I'm not sure I get it. So these people bought the land of the govt, and now the atheists want to file a lawsuit to take the land away from them because they don't like the cross???
Jasmine Grace
Jasmine Grace
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 58
Locale : Australia
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Character sheet

http://twitter.com/jasminegrace89

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:30 pm

probably want a Nazi cross in its place
namvet
namvet
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 399
Locale : Missouri
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Stupid battle if you ask me , leave the cross alone!!
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 566
Locale : taxationland Maine
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content