Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The problems between Christians

2 posters

Go down

The problems between Christians Empty The problems between Christians

Post by GD2GO Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:17 pm

OK . . . I touched on this at the old CL and think it may have helped bring about the end, but I'll try it again here.

I know that different Christian sects have different interpretations of parts of the Bible, and even accept or not accept certain parts of the Bible. But what I don't understand is how some think I'm going to hell because I'm Catholic (trust me, if I go to Hell, Catholicism will be the least of my sins). For that matter, I don't understand why some Catholics disdain certain protestetans, most often Baptists, and why some Baptists shun me and my family not because of our skin color, but because of the church we attend.

I remember the KKK very well. They hated me not just because of my race, but because of my families relgion. And they hated the white members of our Parish as well.

I think some people, maybe here, have misconceptions about Catholicism, what Catholics believe, and the structure of the Roman Catholic Church. I'd be happy to address any of those.

Can't we all just get along?
Seriously.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

The problems between Christians Empty Re: The problems between Christians

Post by old goat Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:16 am

I think some of it comes from not understanding what Martin Luther had in his protestations against the Catholic church, and what was the driving force of Luther.

First his intention was not break from the Church. The Church is run by men, that means it will have flaws. Luther was a monk, a very studied man who studied the Bible.

Some of the things that he saw going on in the Church of his time didn't go along with what was taught in the Word. Indulgances were common place as a means for the Church to get money through (don't mean to be harsh) a form of extortion. If you sinned and confessed (at THAT time) you were told to give so much in donations and you were forgiven. The Bible was not allowed to be read directly by the people, most couldn't read anyway, and it was interpreted by the Priests. Luther felt this was wrong.

There were of course a whole list of things that Luther wrote on what was, in his opinion, things that were leading the Catholic Church away from what it was supposed to be. It had become a power haven for some. Funny thing is, Luther wanted to work within the Church, but the Church excommunicated him. Today, many of the things that Luther proposed have been adopted by the Church. Go figure.

I think the problem that a number of the protestant religion have with Catholics stems from the doctrines of their sects not having the depth of understanding that Luther did. They were off shoots of a break away movement. The farther you get from the roots the more differences you put in place.

Some of the attitude comes from ignorance of what the true tennents of the Catholic Church are. Some comes from not understanding the reasons why the Church does some of the things that it does. Some is cultural.

In the early days of our Country, a large portion of the US were of protestant faith. They viewed the Pope suspiciously, and felt that the Pope would be the ruling force in the US for Catholics rather than the Government. It was that distrust that deeped the divide.

The Church has also aided the divide. There were persecutions in the past against any who did not follow the Catholic church. Zealots in any faith can be good, but they can also destroy.

The Lutheran Church along with some other Protestant churches have been working toward a reconciliation with the Catholic Church. Many of the doctrines are the same, and both sides are beginning to recognise that.

I totally disagree that the Catholic Church is evil. I do believe that there have been evil forces within the Church, but that is far different from condemning the whole. I believe that there are some things in the Catholic faith that are not spelled out in the Bible, but are documented in the vast library of the Church, they are traditions handed down from the early church leaders, yet were not deemed things to be included in the Bible.

I don't believe that Catholics use statues in place of God. Nor do they pray to Saints and worship them in place of God. This is something that is a distortion that some protestant faiths have promoted either by misunderstanding or by purpose to keep the divide.

I believe all true Christians will be saved. Christ told us that. I don't believe that any one church body is 100% correct in their teachings. I do believe that the ceremony of church worship is meant for comfort to it's membership. I believe that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of the Savior, it may not be in the manner that the Catholic Church says it is, but Christ told us that it is His Body and His Blood. Lutherans generally believe that the miracle of the meal occurs, but that it is of two substances at the same time, rather than a transformation of the substance. To me it is semantics.

I believe many want to get along. I also believe that there are some churches that teach the divide because it is profitable to them. It will all be revealed to us on judgement day. I think many protestants and Catholics alike will be surprised.
old goat
old goat
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 255
Locale : Syracuse, NY - the Liberal Mecca State

http://yankeefansunite.eamped.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:27 am

Well said Goat. Most all of it is based in ignorance on both sides.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by old goat Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:33 am

iluvfreebeer wrote:Well said Goat. Most all of it is based in ignorance on both sides.
Absolutely. Ignorance is the biggest problem. It is enhanced by some church leaders, which makes it truly sad.
old goat
old goat
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:36 am

I see a lot of preachers of many demoninations on TV.
My reflex reaction is to not trust them if they ask for money.

Guys like Billy Graham always had my respect because their faith and love of all men is so readily apparant. I really like his son as well.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by old goat Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:48 am

I know exactly what you mean. Some of them seem like actors playing a part for pay rather than being a true believer. While that may not be true, it is the perception I have of them.

Billy Graham was amazing. The reason he was so successful in his work is because he believed. It wasn't about making money and becoming rich as it seems with these TV evangelists.
old goat
old goat
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content