Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp

5 posters

Go down

Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp Empty Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp

Post by Auschlander88 Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29227429/

Chimp owner begged police to stop attack
‘I’ll miss him for the rest of my life,’ she says of pet who mauled her friend
The Associated Press
updated 7:54 a.m. CT, Wed., Feb. 18, 2009

STAMFORD, Conn. - The frantic owner of a 200-pound chimpanzee that went berserk in Connecticut pleaded with police over the phone to help her stop the animal from mauling her friend, begging them to "Hurry, please! He ripped her face off."

Police in Stamford released 911 tapes of Sandra Herold's desperate call to police Monday as her 15-year-old chimp, Travis, was attacking 55-year-old Charla Nash.

The chimp can be heard grunting at times on the tape, as Herold cries, "He's killing my friend!"

The dispatcher says, "Who's killing your friend?"

Herold replies, "My chimpanzee! He ripped her apart! Shoot him, shoot him!"

After police arrive, one officer radios back: "There's a man down. He doesn't look good," he says, referring to the disfigured Nash. "We've got to get this guy out of here. He's got no face."

‘I’ll miss him for the rest of my life’
The chimp attacked Nash as Herold, 70, frantically stabbed her beloved pet with a butcher knife and pounded him with a shovel.

"He looked at me like, 'Mom, what did you do?'" Herold told TODAY in an interview aired Wednesday. "It was horrific what happened and I had to do what I had to do, but still, I'll miss him for the rest of my life."

Nash remained was in critical condition early Wednesday with major injuries to her face and hands.

Police said they are looking into the possibility of criminal charges. A pet owner can be held criminally responsible if he or she knew or should have known that an animal was a danger to others.

Chimp was given Xanax
Police said that the chimp was agitated earlier Monday and that Herold had given him the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in some tea. Police said the drug had not been prescribed for the 14-year-old chimp.

Investigators said they were also told that Travis had Lyme disease, a tick-borne illness with flu-like symptoms that can lead to arthritis and meningitis in humans.

"Maybe from the medications he was out of sorts," Stamford police Capt. Richard Conklin said.

Frantic scene
Nash had gone to Herold's home in Stamford on Monday to help her coax the chimp back into the house after he got out, police said. After the animal lunged at Nash when she got out of her car, Herold ran inside to call 911 and returned with a knife.

After the initial attack, Travis ran away and started roaming Herold's property until police arrived, setting up security so medics could reach the critically injured woman, Conklin said.

But the chimpanzee returned and went after several of the officers, who retreated into their cars, Conklin said. An officer shot Travis several times after the animal opened the door to his cruiser and started to get in.

The wounded chimpanzee fled into the house and retreated to his living quarters, where he died.

When he was younger, Travis starred in TV commercials for Old Navy and Coca-Cola, made an appearance on the "Maury Povich Show" and took part in a television pilot, according to a 2003 story in The Advocate newspaper of Stamford.
Auschlander88
Auschlander88
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp Empty Re: Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp

Post by Auschlander88 Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 am

This is yet another example of how people need to be armed, and not expect the cops to save them. This lady lost both here hands and was horribly mauled, because she and the chimp's owner were not armed with a gun.

A glock17 with a magazine full of hollowpoints could have ended this tragedy much sooner and saved a lot of suffering.
Auschlander88
Auschlander88
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp Empty Re: Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp

Post by NonConformist Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Yep...guns are wonderful tools to have!
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 515
Locale : S. Florida
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.conservativecore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:21 pm

what kind of idiot keeps a chimp as a house pet ffs!
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 566
Locale : taxationland Maine
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Character sheet
test: 1

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:19 pm

NonConformist wrote:Yep...guns are wonderful tools to have!

Just like my leatherman multi-tool . . . I never leave home without them.

Ya know,

I'd like to see one of these mounted on the wall, right next to the elk I shot some years back in Idaho.

Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp Wowweealivechimpanzee
Administrator note:
This has nothing to do with President Obama
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 pm

That would rock!
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Auschlander88 Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

I hear now that they're considering criminal charges against the lady who owned the chimp. Rumors are that she slept with it. And I do mean 'slept with it'
Auschlander88
Auschlander88
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm

eeewwww

Unarmed Woman begged cops to shoot chimp OMFG-Cat_laptop

NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Obama Rulz Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:26 pm

That's really gross.
Obama Rulz
Obama Rulz
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down