Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senate votes to ease D.C. gun access; Pelosi nixes assault-weapons ban

2 posters

Go down

Senate votes to ease D.C. gun access; Pelosi nixes assault-weapons ban Empty Senate votes to ease D.C. gun access; Pelosi nixes assault-weapons ban

Post by Auschlander88 Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Senate votes to ease D.C. gun access; Pelosi nixes assault-weapons ban
As part of its vote to grant the District of Columbia a vote in Congress, the Senate also approved giving the capital's residents far greater access to firearms, including semiautomatic weapons. The 62-36 vote comes eight months after the Supreme Court narrowly ruled that the district's 32-year ban on handgun possession violated the Second Amendment of the Constitution.

The measure now must be reconciled with the House.

The legislation's sponsor, Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., said the district "has attempted to subvert what the Supreme Court did by putting very burdensome types of laws to make it more and more difficult for district residents to own a gun to be able to protect themselves in their own homes."

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who has fought for a ban on assault weapons, denounced the move.

"I believe it will lead to more weapons and more violence on the streets of the nation's capital. It will endanger the citizens of the district and government employees who work here, our elected officials and those who visit this great American capital," she said.

Feinstein called it a "first new step" by the pro-gun lobby "to remove all commonsense gun regulations" from the country. "How deep have we sunk in catering to these interests. For shame."

Today's vote came a day after Attorney General Eric Holder raised the possibility that the Obama administration would push to bring back the ban on assault weapons. But Feinstein's San Francisco neighbor, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, shot down that notion today, The Hill reports.

"On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now," the Democratic leader said at her weekly news conference. "I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that."
Auschlander88
Auschlander88
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Senate votes to ease D.C. gun access; Pelosi nixes assault-weapons ban Empty Re: Senate votes to ease D.C. gun access; Pelosi nixes assault-weapons ban

Post by NonConformist Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Im suprised...and I was shocked yesterday when I heard what Pelosi said...
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 515
Locale : S. Florida
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.conservativecore.com

Back to top Go down