Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your choice for a SHTF Rifle and why?

+3
Sheriff Bob
NonConformist
Clubtender
7 posters

Go down

What's your choice for a SHTF Rifle and why? Empty What's your choice for a SHTF Rifle and why?

Post by Clubtender Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:47 pm

My choice for a "Shit Hits The Fan" rifle is the humble, unaltered SKS.

I Choose the SKS over the civilian market AK rifles because the SKS was designed from the start to be a semi-automatic rifle. The AK-47 was designed from the start as a full automatic rifle with a semi-automatic capability. The accuracy of an AK is insufficient for a semi-automatic only firearm. Everything else costs too damn much for the firepower offered, in my humble opinion.

After a "Plain Jane" SKS is sighted in, it can sit in a corner with a canvas map bag full of 10 round stripper clips for years and with the wipe of a sleeve and it's first stripper loaded into it, be ready to go at a moment's notice.

The humble SKS is not flashy or sexy. It is a simple, low maintenance firearm that provides an acceptable level of firepower with reasonable accuracy for not a whole lot of money.

OK folks, what's your choice for a Shit Hits The Fan rifle and why?
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 156
Locale : Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Character sheet
test: 1

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bare-Knuckle-Politics/

Back to top Go down

What's your choice for a SHTF Rifle and why? Empty Re: What's your choice for a SHTF Rifle and why?

Post by NonConformist Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:55 pm

The SKS is a good choice but needs a better stock IMO

Mine is a good ol' 20" AR-15, though Id prefer an 18" barrel

Its the weapon Im most proficient with and most experienced with and mags and ammo will be readily available as most LE and the .mil use them
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 515
Locale : S. Florida
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.conservativecore.com

Back to top Go down

What's your choice for a SHTF Rifle and why? Empty Re: What's your choice for a SHTF Rifle and why?

Post by Sheriff Bob Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:09 pm

I'd choose the AK47 first - then a good bolt action in 30-06. The AK handles better than the SKS in close combat and if the SHTF, that's one thing you'll need. The bolt action would be to keep things at a longer distance.

Sheriff Bob
FNG/Recruit
FNG/Recruit

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:10 pm

NonConformist wrote:The SKS is a good choice but needs a better stock IMO
There is a reason for that stubby little stock. When shouldered, your line of sight is forced directly down the rifle's sights. It's uncomfortable, but effective.

NonConformist wrote:Mine is a good ol' 20" AR-15, though Id prefer an 18" barrel

Its the weapon Im most proficient with and most experienced with and mags and ammo will be readily available as most LE and the .mil use them
Excellent choice, though a little pricey in my opinion. On the bright side, you will be able to "borrow" magazines in a pinch. I'm taking the low budget approach of being prepared to use my SKS to "borrow" an AR and it's magazines.
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:25 pm

They are pricey now, but my frst wasnt even 750 OTD, and the build I did cost me like $550 w/ an overpriced lower
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:18 pm

I think that we may be looking at different uses as well for our SHTF rifles. How we plan to use them plays a big role in our choices. I'm too old and slow to go play soldier. I remember what the job requires and I just do not have it anymore. In an organized militia action, I would just end up getting good men killed for covering my slow ass. I would most likely be holding ground or moving away from weapons fire, not toward it. This plays a major part in my choice of firearms.
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Im not in great shape either and have a bum knee and asthma, but I have it just for HD and as a looter/rioter shooter mostly
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:47 pm

It depends. If I'm living out in the wet crap around here fighting in the mud and slime, it would be the AK. It does not fail.
If I have a cozy place to work on my shit, It would be my A2.
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 98
Locale : Clock Tower
Registration date : 2007-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Obama Rulz Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Why don't you Rambos dial 911 like normal people?
Obama Rulz
Obama Rulz
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Obama Rulz wrote:Why don't you Rambos dial 911 like normal people?
If the government that controls the police goes corrupt, who protects you from the police? We have the 2nd Amendment for a reason. Go ask a cop.
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:08 am

Because when seconds count, police are only minutes away. Besides, I don't see the black and white sitting in front of my house, protecting my family and keeping the gang banger scum out. My right is to protect my family with whatever means are needed, you can go ahead and dial 911, thats your right.
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:32 am

My rifle is for a true "shit hits the fan" situation. For a matter of home defense, I would rely on my shotgun or one of my pistols. Probably my shotgun.
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:37 am

As far as dialing 911, we would do exactly that in the event of a home invasion. It would go like this.
Protect your life and property, reload and dial 911.
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 am

Then, all that they need to bring to the scene is a squeegee and a bucket. Laughing
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:26 am

Because I live so far from town it would take them 45 minutes or more to get there unless Im real lucky and theres a unit nearby, but it seems there isnt much crime out here as we all have guns so they keep the County Deputies elsewhere where they will more likley be needed for people like yourself w/ no self responsibility

Besides, whil Im protecting the family the wife IS dialing 911, they just wont be there for a while
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by Obama Rulz Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Clubtender wrote:Go ask a cop.

I have. And they are scared to death of yahoos running around with these assault weapons. If you want a shotgun to kill deer or ducks or whatever, that's probably OK. But no one needs these assault weapons. Just yesterday a lunatic with an automatic rifle killed 12 people in Alabama. Did HE have a right to have that assault weapon? I don't think so.
Obama Rulz
Obama Rulz
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Auschlander88 Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:08 pm

It may not be the "best" choice, but I have a lot of faith and experience with my Marlin 30-30 lever action. Especially with the new Leverevolution ammo.

And the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with duck hunting. It is there for two reasons, it establishes the need for militia, which means every able bodied citizen, and it recognized the God give right of free men to be armed for many reasons. Among them are self preservation/protection and to ward off or stop tyranny in government.
Auschlander88
Auschlander88
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Obama Rulz, The firearms that Liberals tend to try to label as "assault rifles" are in fact not assault rifles. Assault rifles are not readily available to the public as they are capable of full automatic fire. The firearms that Liberals call "assault rifles" are in fact semi-automatic rifles that have military looking, cosmetic differences from sporting arms.

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. It is about protecting yourself, your family, your property and your community. It is also the last line of defense against a government that has run amok.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

Thomas Jefferson wrote:"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

George Washington wrote:"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the
people's liberty teeth and keystone. The rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable. More than
99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very
atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes,
we need them every hour."

George Washington wrote:"A free people ought not only to be armed."

Tench Coxe wrote:"Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people"
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Auschlander88 wrote:It may not be the "best" choice, but I have a lot of faith and experience with my Marlin 30-30 lever action. Especially with the new Leverevolution ammo.
If it is the choice that you are most comfortable with, then it is the best choice for you.

This thread is not about judging anyone's choice of arms. It's about the curiosity of seeing what arms people actually choose to trust their lives with. Granted, I did tweak the AK and AR rifle people, but that was just to keep the topic active.
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:30 pm

I have a few AKs and a couple ARs. I don't have an SKS but it would be just fine to have that as an only rifle. All the above are good choices.

That said -- I keep a Beretta Storm cX4 in 9mm and 5 magazines with me in the truck at all times.

Given what happened in Mumbai, I'm thinking of keeping an AK in the truck. I suggest you all think about this. I believe it's very possible that I Mumbai type attack can occur in the USA at anytime.

Be armed. Be aware. Be prepared to kill a terrorist to defend yourself.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubtender Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:47 pm

That Beretta is a nice little carbine.
Clubtender
Clubtender
Paratrooper
Paratrooper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Obama Rulz wrote:
Clubtender wrote:Go ask a cop.

I have. And they are scared to death of yahoos running around with these assault weapons. If you want a shotgun to kill deer or ducks or whatever, that's probably OK. But no one needs these assault weapons. Just yesterday a lunatic with an automatic rifle killed 12 people in Alabama. Did HE have a right to have that assault weapon? I don't think so.

Actual Assault Rifles are very expensive and require a lengthy FBI check and registration w/ the ATF

To date, only one or two crimes have been committed by people legally owning Machine Guns and they were cops

Im betting the one in Alabama wasnt even a Machine Gun and if it was it was an illegal conversion to an automatic weapon

What the liberals classified as AWs were not, they are merely military looking rifles that function no differently than many shotguns and hunting rifles
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:34 am

The term "assault weapon" is meaningless. There is no such thing.

There is an assault rifle, not an assault weapon. And NC summed up pretty well that there are damned few assault rifles in private ownership and they are NOT used in crimes - except by cops.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Loner Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Obama Droolz:
More people are killed by assholes drinking and driving than are killed by "assualt Weapons" or any other weapon for that matter. Put your big girl panties on and go join MADD or something, make a difference. Too bad your liberal retarded media does not report on how many of our family and friends are killed in that manner. Nope, no agenda there.....

As far as the best weapon bla bla bla. I'll use what i'm comfortable with, so pretty much anything in my safe. I know my weapons inside and out, I've built most of them and I'm confident that they all function properly, if not I know how to repair.
Loner
Loner
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum