Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIW explores future in wind power

2 posters

Go down

BIW explores future in wind power Empty BIW explores future in wind power

Post by submarinepainter Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:09 pm

BIW explores future in wind power

sponsored Building ships will remain its core business, but the company sees opportunity in ocean energy projects.
By TUX TURKEL, Staff Writer

April 27, 2009

Known for building naval warships, Bath Iron Works has begun exploring whether it can expand into the renewable energy business.

The company is researching opportunities in industrial products and services, with a focus on energy – notably offshore wind-power development and maintenance. BIW representatives gave a presentation this month to the state's Ocean Energy Task Force, which is working on a strategy to place wind turbines off the Maine coast.

The potential for pursuing offshore wind development also was included as part of a vision for the shipyard's future in a presentation to employees by Jeffrey S. Geiger, the shipyard's new president.

With 5,600 workers and an annual payroll of $326 million, BIW is among the state's largest private-sector employers. Since 1980, almost all of its revenue has come from designing and building combat ships. The company has no plans to move away from that core business; it stresses that strong performance in military contracts is a baseline for expanding into other ventures.

That said, BIW is looking for opportunity in a changing world. Early this year, the company began researching the renewable energy market, Geiger told the Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram.

"The increasing need for alternative sources of energy, coupled with our expertise in complex marine systems, makes it natural for us to look at the possibilities in ocean energy, including offshore wind, tidal and wave," Geiger said.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=253150&ac=PHnws&pg=1

I want Alternatie energy solutions by private businesses and hope this pans out, I am skepticle though as every "green energy" project is shot down by the NIMBY effect. I can remember reading an article about the Eastern Prom being selected as a site for wind turbines and even with the offer of a huge break on the electricy bills the people up there refused to have it in their backyard.
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 566
Locale : taxationland Maine
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Character sheet
test: 1

Back to top Go down

BIW explores future in wind power Empty Re: BIW explores future in wind power

Post by libertarianandproud Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:44 am

The NIMBY effect how nice of the libs to want change for everyone but them.
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:42 pm

I think this is a good idea, I say we try everything to reduce the amount of oil we buy from the people that brought us 9/11.
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by libertarianandproud Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:53 am

submarinepainter wrote:I think this is a good idea, I say we try everything to reduce the amount of oil we buy from the people that brought us 9/11.

WE do need to get off the ME oil. why don't we drill here?
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm

libertarianandproud wrote:
submarinepainter wrote:I think this is a good idea, I say we try everything to reduce the amount of oil we buy from the people that brought us 9/11.

WE do need to get off the ME oil. why don't we drill here?

Because some friggin tree hugging fuck is scared we my hurt a fucking grasshopper or some other stupid reason .
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content