Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maine gives military free park admission

5 posters

Go down

Maine gives military free park admission Empty Maine gives military free park admission

Post by libertarianandproud Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm

AUGUSTA -- Gov. John Baldacci has signed into law a bill to allow military members, veterans and their families free admission to state parks and historic sites.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/ne...park-admission

Every once in a while a liberal does something good
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Maine gives military free park admission Empty Re: Maine gives military free park admission

Post by GD2GO Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 pm

I am against this. We are not a nation of preferential treatment for people who work for the government.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Maine gives military free park admission Empty Re: Maine gives military free park admission

Post by Popov Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:35 am

GD2GO wrote:I am against this. We are not a nation of preferential treatment for people who work for the government.
but he isn't talking about your typical busybody office clerk - we're talking about men and women who served this country, risked their lives to defend your freedoms, etc - they actually had a similar deal in the USSR - everybody who got the medal "hero of the soviet union" - our version of the "medal of honor" got no waiting in lines at stores, cinemas, in govt offices, libraries (basically everywhere) plus they had reserved seats in public transportation and free access to cultural events and whatnot - lots of stuff to thank them for their courage, for risking their lives for their country - i think it's a beautiful gesture, i don't see why this is a bad one... although i can agree with the premise that govt agents shouldn't get preferential treatment
Popov
Popov
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Character sheet
test: 1

https://conservative-life.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by libertarianandproud Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:32 pm

I think it is a great Idea free, I think I finally found something we disagree on!!
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:45 pm

Popov wrote:
GD2GO wrote:I am against this. We are not a nation of preferential treatment for people who work for the government.
but he isn't talking about your typical busybody office clerk - we're talking about men and women who served this country, risked their lives to defend your freedoms, etc - they actually had a similar deal in the USSR - everybody who got the medal "hero of the soviet union" - our version of the "medal of honor" got no waiting in lines at stores, cinemas, in govt offices, libraries (basically everywhere) plus they had reserved seats in public transportation and free access to cultural events and whatnot - lots of stuff to thank them for their courage, for risking their lives for their country - i think it's a beautiful gesture, i don't see why this is a bad one... although i can agree with the premise that govt agents shouldn't get preferential treatment

Popov, I can understand with "heroes" who've earned the MOH or the Hero of the Soviet Union and such. But I didn't join the military for perqs and I don't know anyone that did. Don't get me wrong, many times I've seen nice people let a soldier in uniform butt ahead in line, or perform some other act of simple kindness and extended courtesy to them. But that was voluntary. This is using TAX PAYER DOLLARS to fund. It's just another form of welfare.

If private individuals or organizations want to extend courtesies to groups of people, fine. But in the eyes of the government we should all be equal.

This may not be popular, but I've got news for you. There are a number of individuals serving in the military who are assholes, just like society as a whole. They don't deserve special treatment just because of the uniform and giving to those assholes is an insult to the 95% of those serving who are good examples for the rest of us.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by Popov Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:56 am

fair enough
Popov
Popov
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Character sheet

https://conservative-life.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by libertarianandproud Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:44 pm

I still am for it , Every sector has their idiots , should cancel all benefits because of a couple of bad apples?
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by That's I-gore Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 am

libertarianandproud wrote:I still am for it , Every sector has their idiots , should cancel all benefits because of a couple of bad apples?

No. We should cancel it because it's wrong. What's next, special treatment for brown shirt nazi cops from the ATF?

Why don't we give free admission to mailmen? How about school crossing guards? What about people in the Peace Corps?

Nope. For me, what we need is a level playing field.
That's I-gore
That's I-gore
FNG/Recruit
FNG/Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Locale : Amityville
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by libertarianandproud Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 pm

That's I-gore wrote:
libertarianandproud wrote:I still am for it , Every sector has their idiots , should cancel all benefits because of a couple of bad apples?

No. We should cancel it because it's wrong. What's next, special treatment for brown shirt nazi cops from the ATF?

Why don't we give free admission to mailmen? How about school crossing guards? What about people in the Peace Corps?

I think Cops and firemen are better paid then soldiers , some even get to retire earlier than us. School Crossing guards and Peace Corps fags are really putting it on the line....... Not!
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:37 pm

libertarianandproud wrote:
That's I-gore wrote:

I think Cops and firemen are better paid then soldiers , some even get to retire earlier than us. School Crossing guards and Peace Corps fags are really putting it on the line....... Not!

Smile Peace Corps fags Smile

Back to the free admission for military: I'm just basically against special treatment for people. Period. I know what your saying is well intended, but I don't like the idea of the government using tax payer money to give special treatment to a certain group of people, no matter how noble the intent, or the group as a whole.

And cops? I think we need to treat them suspiciously in all circumstances. The amount of police abuse, malfeasance and abuse of power is incredible. Perhaps 5% of the cops out there can be trusted, sometimes. As a group, they're usually poorly educated, lower IQ people who couldnt' get a better job. Giving them the power they have is a BAD idea.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Character sheet
test:

Back to top Go down

Post by libertarianandproud Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:51 pm

They should be able to get better quality officers if the pay was higher, if the cops were more efficient and smarter most communities could have less cops and get a better product.
libertarianandproud
libertarianandproud
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post by submarinepainter Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:41 pm

I think it should be free for everyone or everyone pays!
submarinepainter
submarinepainter
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 566
Locale : taxationland Maine
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum