Conservative Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please, all of you read this!!!

+7
Southern_Solider75
Buzzy
Popov
KSigMason
old goat
GD2GO
Bilbo Baggins
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Please, all of you read this!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Please, all of you read this!!!

Post by GD2GO Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:33 pm

Bilbo Baggins wrote:Me = 3
iluvfreebeer = 0

Whatever fantasy makes your irrelevant life feel better, money.
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Please, all of you read this!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Please, all of you read this!!!

Post by Madcowhunter Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:09 am

Bilbo Baggins wrote:The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins.

If you read it fully, and still are not convinced by it, I will give your views full respect, as you will have at least made an effort to learn about the other side of the argument.
I think I will look into it.
Madcowhunter
Madcowhunter
FNG/Recruit
FNG/Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Locale : The Genuine Promised Land
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by GD2GO Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Hey Bilbo, read any other good books lately?
GD2GO
GD2GO
The REAL Infidel Warlord
The REAL Infidel Warlord

Number of posts : 1108
Locale : In the space between reality and possibility.
Registration date : 2007-01-17

Character sheet
test:

http://www.specialops.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NonConformist Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Y'all should read Stealth Jihad
NonConformist
NonConformist
Ranger Qualified
Ranger Qualified

Number of posts : 515
Locale : S. Florida
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.conservativecore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo Baggins Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 pm

iluvfreebeer wrote:Hey Bilbo, read any other good books lately?

Si Senor. I recently read 'The Consolations of Philosophy' by Alain De Botton (brilliant writer).

A review from Amazon:
Flushed with the success of How Proust Can Change Your Life, philosophical agony uncle Alain de Botton once more matches his precocious talents to addressing the anxieties of modern life with Consolations of Philosophy. Dubbed the "Naked Philosopher", de Botton's cherubic charms match his grey matter, and this book, which has already inspired a Channel 4 series, sees him continue his one-man mission to sugar the pill of learning with his brilliant mixture of wit, wisdom and whimsy. So humans have six gurus and six concerns: Socrates on unpopularity, Epicurus on lack of money, Seneca on frustrations, Montaigne on inadequacy, Schopenhauer on a broken heart and Nietzsche on the necessity of difficulties. And then there is a seventh: de Botton himself, artfully infusing others' palliative musings with souffléd epigrams of his own, and marshalling his arguments with an insouciance that belies considerable skill. De Botton was already appealing to the likes of Wittgenstein, Aristotle and Montaigne for romantic guidance in his novels, Kiss and Tell, Essays in Love and The Romantic Movement, and with How Proust Can Change Your Life, he finally dropped the pretence of plot and concentrated on the digressions, albeit with a slightly eager charm. Where that book was dazzling, the glow of Consolations of Philosophy burns more deeply, displaying a more sober and polished application of his undoubted mental prowess, without losing his distinctive playfulness. He brings to the essay form something of what Milan Kundera brings to the novel and, like him, while still respecting the boundaries he oversteps, he hopscotches genres with spring heels. It is Montaigne whom de Botton most admires and, indeed, most resembles in style--he says of the 16th-century Frenchman: "in Montaigne's scheme of intelligence, what matters in a book is usefulness and appropriateness to life" and it's a recipe he himself assiduously and rewardingly follows. Jamie Oliver take note, dry crusts have rarely been made so appetising and digestible.

Yeah I have almost no fucking idea what he said as well. Here is a better review:

Then into this medieval outlook on philosophy, drop Alain de Botton and his often humorous attempts to get the rest of us to understand that philosophy has a place in everyone's life. By no stretch is The Consolations of Philosophy anything approaching a Philosophy for Dummies. Rather, de Botton opts to delve into the teachings and writings of a half dozen noted philosophers and break his book into six sections: with the words and thoughts of an appropriate philosopher offering "consolations" on a particular psychic ailment. Thus, de Botton looks to Socrates for advice on Unpopularity in Part I. To Epicurus for Not Having Enough Money in Part II. Seneca's thoughts help us deal with Frustration in Part III and Montaigne helps with Inadequacy in Part IV. Arthur Schopenhauer offers consolations on a dealing with a Broken Heart in Part V and -- on the surface, at least, somewhat ironically -- Nietzsche's words offer Consolation for Difficulties.

Full review here: http://januarymagazine.com/artcult/consophilosophy.html

A good read, I give it 4 Egyptian smilies out of 5. farao farao farao farao
Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
The guy who makes it interesting
The guy who makes it interesting

Number of posts : 390
Locale : New Zealand
Registration date : 2007-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine Grace Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:14 am

I read "The Reason for God" recently. It puts forward intellectual arguments for Christianity, and refutes some common atheist objections to God. I thought it was well written and put together, so if that sounds like a book that would be of interest to you, I recommend it.
Jasmine Grace
Jasmine Grace
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 58
Locale : Australia
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Character sheet
test: 1

http://twitter.com/jasminegrace89

Back to top Go down

Post by Remo Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Jasmine Grace wrote:I read "The Reason for God" recently. It puts forward intellectual arguments for Christianity, and refutes some common atheist objections to God. I thought it was well written and put together, so if that sounds like a book that would be of interest to you, I recommend it.

Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll look for it at Half Price books next time I'm in there.

And welcome to Conservative Life!
Remo
Remo

Number of posts : 87
Locale : A secure location
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine Grace Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:31 pm

I got it for a good price off Amazon. And it was still good, when you factor in the plummeting Aussie dollar, and the exorbitant shipping prices that Amazon charge. I'm not sure if it would be a good price for an american though. Your books seem to be cheaper.
Jasmine Grace
Jasmine Grace
Infantry
Infantry

Number of posts : 58
Locale : Australia
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Character sheet
test: 1

http://twitter.com/jasminegrace89

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3